How Romance Inspires Music
by Augusto Palmeri , Sep 15, 2020 . 5 min read
Recent discussion at tendermeets revolved around how romance inspires music and creativity for artists of all kinds.
There are many ways to draw inspiration from romance and apply it to music. However, that is not the only source that people have for making their music resonate with listeners. With that in mind, here are some of the ways we’ve found where Romances inspires music.
Romantic Feelings As a Source of Inspiration
Just as music can serve as an inspiration for romantic feelings, romantic feelings can have a significant impact on music. People express themselves and how good they feel around their significant other, the insecurities that come with falling in love, and other topics that are less pleasant, such as the end of a loving relationship.
Music also has a soothing effect on people, and that can help create an atmosphere of calm when you are having issues with your partner. Or you can use it to set the tone for an evening of romance by playing your favorite songs.
When in love, grab your guitar or any musical instrument of choice and start improvising. Transform your feelings into music and write your train of thought to compose lyrics for new songs. Don’t be afraid to demonstrate your intimate ideas, just follow your passion. Indeed, this exercise may have a therapeutic effect and help you find solutions for problems arising in connection with romantic feelings.
Other Ways to Find Inspiration As a Musician
Love is not the only topic that people sing about. Other emotions such as exhaustion and anger are heavily involved in the world of music. There are many other different inspirations for music that we all enjoy. For example, people rely on some of the following to help them develop a song.
- People love to sing praises about the country in which they were born. Not only do you get national anthems in this manner, but it can help them think about the things that they love most about their daily lives. Sit in a quiet room, remember all the things or events that make you proud of your country, and listen to the beautiful soundtrack to these events vibrating in your head. Born in the US by Bruce Springsteen may be the perfect example of a patriotic song.
- A lot of songs in the world have been written about religion and My Sweet Lord by George Harrison is one of them. Since religious beliefs are often the basis of people’s faith and approach to the world around them, it only makes sense that it would appear in songs, too. While religious music is less prominent now than it was in the past; many artists use music to spread the word of their faith.
- Sports are a national pass-time that gives people feelings of happiness and achievement. It’s no small wonder that people will often sing about sports! For instance, everyone knows the famous We Are the Champions by Queen. Try and find teams to support and follow them in their pursuit of trophies. But don’t become a glory hunter – show your support and care even after painful defeats. By the way, many soccer fans sing songs together at the stadium and after the match.
- There are some other works of art that will inspire songs. Everything from books to paintings can make a musician feel like writing a song (Andy Warhol by David Bowie or Viva la Vida by Coldplay, just to name a few). Dive into the beautiful world of art and derive inspiration for your music – behold classic paintings and modern photos, watch your favorite movies or read good old books.
- Sometimes, introspection is the only way that some people can make the connection between their feelings and their music. Meditation helps out a great deal with this issue. So get yourself comfortable, eliminate background noises (or turn on your favorite instrumental music); and use preferable meditation techniques to channel your subconscious thoughts and feelings. After relaxation, you may experience a sudden rush of inspiration and compose something like Kashmir by Led Zeppelin.
Trying to create music is very difficult for artists. Topics aren’t always easy to come by and a person writing about their own life can be traumatic and painful. Nevertheless, romance and music are inevitably intertwined, and they will likely remain that way since love is the most powerful emotion that people can feel. The next time that someone wants to talk about how their romance inspires their music, you can be sure that it came from a potent feeling.